Nice and sturdy- but just a little too 1985 for my taste! Using the process described here: Here's what I did to amend this...
Step One: Remove the hardware:
Step 2: Apply 2 coats of primer. I used Kilz Odorless Spray Primer. This dries in about one hour.
Step 3: Apply 3 coats of paint. I used Valspar Interior Exterior Gloss in Antique White. This dries in about 20 minutes.
Step 3: Using a paint brush, apply a thin coat of Valspar Interior Faux Finish. This finish needs to be tinted when you buy it. I had it tinted "New Black" at Lowe's. The finish is painted on with a paint brush and then wiped off with a damp cloth. This finish makes all the etching in this set pop out.
Step 4: I spray painted the hardware an oil rubbed bronze. Here's how it all panned out... I don't have an after picture of mirror that goes on top of the long dresser. It's done... it's just currently crammed away in the townhouse!
Whew! I'm pretty happy with it! However, I don't think I will ever feel the need to spray paint anything ever again... If you're interested in trying this method I recommend a trip to this blog for more instructions and inspiration: All Things Thrifty by Brooke.